The City of Gainesville (City) has been awarded State Coronavirus Relief Funds (CRF) in the amount of $350,511. The CRF is a portion of the Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES), as approved by Congress and signed into law by the President in March 2020 in response to the economic impact resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic. The CRF will be distributed through the State Housing Initiative Partnership (SHIP) Program to local governments. Through the CRF, the City will launch a Utility Assistance Program (UAP) to assist neighbors financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic with utilities such as, water, electric, cable, phone and/or internet services.
The UAP will benefit extremely low, very low and low income neighbors who have suffered a loss of income, reduction in work hours or unemployment resulting from the Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19). The City will provide CRF funds to assist eligible neighbors with utility assistance for three (3) months or a total amount not to exceed $1,250.00, whichever occurs first.
- Funds are available to eligible neighbors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Applicant(s) must reside within the city limits of Gainesville. Please verify your address before completing the application to determine that your tax jurisdiction is located in section 3600 or 3700, which are located in the city limits of Gainesville. Please click on the attached link.
- Applicant(s) address must match the address on the utility, phone, cable, and/or internet statement(s).
- Applicant(s) must be able to document a loss of income, reduction in hours or termination of employment as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The maximum assistance will be provided up to three (3) months or a maximum award of $1,250.00 per household, whichever occurs first. Assistance is provided in the form of a grant, so recipients will not be required to repay funds used for this program.
- Families affected by the COVID-19 pandemic must be determined to be income eligible to participate based on the established income limits from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Income limits chart is attached.
- Assistance will be provided for utility payments due on March 16, 2020, and onward.
- Applicant(s) or household member must not have received any other financial assistance for utility, phone, cable and/or internet payments for the time frame payment is requested from the City.